Saturday, July 16, 2005

a rainy Saturday indoors

It has been raining on and off these few days, sparking off my love-hate relationship with rain again.

I used to get so excited whenever the sky started pouring. I would find reasons to get out just to get myself wet from the downpour. The cool, tingling sensation after being drenched by nature's shower was unbeatable.

Maybe I was just a young child then, simply amazed by the way the way rain falls from seemingly nowhere. And how I loved that smell of fresh rain in the early mornings. I would stick my hand out of the window just to feel that rain and be part of it. Such simple pleasures in life...

Then can my rebellious teenage years of skipping school and falling asleep in class. Despite how people always say it's great to sleep in on rainy days, I would always be awake, just admiring the rain fall through the classroom windows. Days like that in school made me feel energised, not lethargic. I was a strange brat.

If it ever happened to be raining when it time to go home, I would walk my proud little ass all the way to the bus-stop drenched. The boys loved doing it too, but it was probably also because they never ever brought umbrellas to school. Umbrellas were for sissys and the girly. I was neither. So I walk unprotected from the hard raindrops hitting my body.

Quite often, I would board the bus 31 to greet a hundred amused faces scrutinising my see-through school blouse sticking closely to me like a second skin. Why? Have they never seen people drenched from heavy rain before?

Amazingly, I never ever did fall sick even once after getting that wet. I guess I was a strong girl. But not anymore...

When I was 17, I fell critically ill for a few months, and I was never able to walk in the rain like I did before. That put an end to my "singing in the rain" days. Boy was I upset.

Nowadays, I have to stay indoors when it rains to prevent falling sick almost immediately. Sometimes memories of strolling in the rain with my boys revisit me. And like an old geezer, I can only wear a contented smile and say, "Those were the days..."

Nostalgia always hits me on rainy days...