Thursday, September 22, 2005

hi-tech grocery shopping

Anyone who has been to Carrefour would know that they have barcode scanners available all around for shoppers to check the prices of their items. Back then when Carrefour had their first outlet at Suntec City, this was an entirely new technological advancement in the local world of grocery shopping. My trip there tonight shows that they have taken things up another notch on the hi-tech scale. Electronical price tags!



How much more futuristic can they get?

Please pardon the quality of the photo. I was going to take another one, but the staff were eyeing me like I was going to steal it (which I was seriously contemplating), so I didn't really dare spend more time fiddling around with it.

See the black area below the $3.85 price tag? It actually flashes the word "PROMOTION" in a bid to attract more attention from customers. Cool!

That $3.85 item did eventually catch my eye and I ended up paying that price for a can of New Moon Shark's Fin Soup. *heh heh* It IS cheaper than RRP (Recommended Retail Price) outside afterall!

----------

Reference articles:

austriamicrosystems with French megadeal

Chipmaker austriamicrosystems has won a contract to supply chips for electronic price tags to Store Electronic Systems of France, which will then produce price tags for French supermarket chain Carrefour. Financial details have not been released.