Friday, September 16, 2005

a silent movie: Be With Me

I just saw Eric Khoo's "Be With Me", and it's nothing you can rave about. Not that it's not well-done, but only that it is such a silent movie that nobody dared make a single sound in the theatre.

The film shows the one thing in life that I have been feeling ever since I learnt about the sense of loss one can have. The times when you could have gotten that one thing you want so badly, but did not, simply because the timing was not to your advantage. In this case, it was love.

The moment you have decided to give up on the one thing you have been waiting for, the moment arrives. How's that for destiny? That everything in life has been predetermined. It has already been written in the books. Whether you fight for it or not. This thought always makes me feel like giving up.

Well, back to the movie. I shan't have any spoilers, because I think everyone who has an emotional side should watch it. This isn't some romanticised Korean drama, neither does it have any entertainment factor. It's just life put on screen. Life as it is. No orchestration, no uncanny coincidences, no glam factor. Just as it is.

The claim that it is a tearjerker is not entirely untrue, as it is really a very moving story. It didn't manage to coax my tears out. But my heart definitely went out to the characters in the story.

A caution though, do not expect much dialogue in the show, because there's almost none. Other than that, feel free to enjoy the show. =)