Tuesday, September 28, 2004

Girl --> Woman

I was granted a brief chance meeting with my adopted godbrother's girlfriend for the very first time this afternoon. She happened to be working temp at a shopping centre nearby where my buddy and I were hanging out. She looked like any other teenage girl. Innocent, cheerful and friendly. The next few moments, however, came completely as a shock.

Right after we exchanged simple introductions and greetings, she was told by my godbro that I was just as much of a Hello Kitty fanatic as she was. Her only question to me was "Do you like Hello Kitty more or him more?" while pointing at my godbro. My only reaction to that was a loud guffaw, followed by "Him? I don't go for kids. I love Hello Kitty more!" She gave me a disbelieving look. We parted ways.

In a short span of 3 minutes, I have yet again realised how deceiving looks can be. A young girl, barely legal, already showing traits of a scheming woman! Acting all amiable but actually trying to suss out if I'm a potential love rival. Fake.

I would understand if she had kept a distance from me because she wanted to analyse my relationship with her boyfriend. But, noooo, she chose to do the "friendly approach". And MAN did she suck at it. Hate it when people can't pull off their schemes. Reservations I accept. I do that too sometimes. Trying to portray yourself as a friend when you're still trying to decide if the person is a foe... Definite no no.

We only live once. Dare to love and dare to hate. Let your emotions show when the time is right. If the chemistry isn't there the first time round, don't waste time. Precious youth is slipping away while you are there beating around the bush concealing your true emotions. Dare to be who you want to be. To be outright from the start saves a lot of frustrations and misunderstandings. If you can't be who you want to be in this life, then which life are you gonna start doing it?