Wednesday, September 22, 2004

Mood music

Movies imitate life. I'm probably someone who suffers from film addiction. I'd rather be overdosed than to cut down on my intake. To not step into the cinema is as equivalent as asking a straight hot-blooded male not to think about sex or women. Impossible. Nothing beats the big screen and surround sound. Makes it so much easier to completely engage myself in the storyline.

The appeal of movies is really huge to me. I can play the voyeur, observing the characters in their daily life. I can become part of their world. Feeling like someone who is just beside them. I immerse myself in every film I watch. That is why I really hate it when mobiles go off or the person behind me insists on shaking my seat incessantly. Once or twice is fine. But PLEASE don't do it for the whole duration of the show. I DO NOT need a massage chair. Thank you very much.

Music plays a very crucial part in every drama production. Plays, movies and drama serials usually use music to help bring out the mood of different scenes. Therefore, a good soundtrack is extremely important to a movie. To tell a story in a short span of 2 hours is not a simple task. The soundtrack creates the right atmosphere for a scene and also helps the audience "feel" the emotions displayed on screen. Nothing beats a great song that suits a scene.

Music also helps viewers connect with the movie. A catchy theme song is always crucial to dramas. Once the song is heard, people think of the show almost immediately. A good example would be Superman or Days of Our Lives. This also applies to movies with sequels, like Star Wars.

-----------------------------------------------------------

Like wise, in life, I have a habit of selecting music to suit my daily emotional status. Certain melodies remind of past events and maybe even rake up some old feelings. I am starring in my own movie, so it's not surprisingly to rely strongly on music to set the mood. Recently I've been repeating Cake's version of "I will survive". A cover version of an old hit done by the Gloria Gaynor. It's I-don't-give-a-damn-about-you-no-more lyrics helps to tide me through my emotional sufferings. I would recommend this song to anyone who is going though a hard time in their relationships. Just be strong. You'll learn how to get along.

Also in my playlist now is U2's "Stuck in a moment". The lyrics also suit my current situation as I have recently placed myself (and my heart) in a sticky position. I am truly "stuck in a moment and I can't get out of it". This song was also dedicated to me by someone special, so hearing this song reminds me of him. Music linked to memories.

Music is something that I use to help make my feelings overwhelming so that I can completely get lost. However, there has to be a limit to it. I usually give myself a stipulated amount of time to grieve or vent my anger. During which every moment would be accompanied by apt music. I immerse myself in that feeling. Cry all I want. Scream all I want. Sing along. Feed my nicotine addiction. After which I tell myself that life has to go on, and I have better things in life to be thinking about. So from there forth, I go back onto track.

This is a method that seems to work on quite a number of people I know. Sometimes, however, it may be slightly challenging finding the right song to suit you. No worries. Should that ever be the case, feel free to send me an email. I'll find the right song for you.